Tuesday, July 5, 2011

United by Food


Yesterday, the 4th of July, we celebrated the United States of America's Independence. Besides family and fireworks a large part of our celebration centered around food and I was reminded of the time I celebrated our nations independence while I was in Russia.

I was a member of a women’s softball team playing against teams throughout Russia – known at that time as the Common Wealth of Independent States. No matter where our travels took us there was always food to be eaten. On July 4, 1993, we were in the town of Tychkovo. A group of people in the small town including an opposing softball team took it upon themselves to help us celebrate our independence day.

It was a joyful celebration with the centerpiece of the event being food. The photo shows the food being laid out just as soon as we reached the Moscow River. I should have waited just a bit before snapping the shot because they proudly added bottles of vodka to the spread. It was a relaxing fun filled day with games, dancing, wonderful people, and lots of delicious food.

I’ll never forget the hospitality and thoughtfulness shown to us that day. Even though we live worlds apart geographically, I do know that friendship and peace prevailed as we ate, played, and celebrated together.

Throughout my travels, I’ve found that food is the one common denominator that can bring us all together. I raise my bottle of water (my beverage of choice) and propose a toast to love, joy, and peace fulfilled and united through food.

No comments:

Post a Comment